Thursday, December 22, 2005

I have tried to sum up how being home can be nice but it's also a little strange. While I don't expect the world to stand still while I am away the main thing I have to base it on when I am in the Congo is how things were when I left. Home becomes an idea: pictures and thoughts of people and places that don't necessarily update themselves based on reality. So coming home is like arriving at your house and finding the furniture rearranged - it's the same but different.

Haiku of the day:

Pink hats and snowflakes
One is fuzzy, one is brave
I missed you both

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey congo lady, i'm back at home too. i love your haiku. arrived last night after 24 hours of flying and threw a little temper tantrum because my mom mixed up my schedule (?#!) and is working this week. well, not anymore. this place is beautifully grey, raining, alarmingly full of soggy, mossy, white people. i think it's time for a phone call? xoxo sara

5:40 PM  
Blogger juliana said...

Hello. I've been reading a lot of blogs based in Africa and I just happened to run across yours. I wanted to ask you a question though. How do you get into your field of work? I really find it interesting. I'm actually currently a Peace Corps applicant, I shouldn't leave for West Africa until June or July. I'm really interested in the kind of work you and "007 in Africa" do. And I want to get an idea of what I could do after the PC and after grad school. Can you please e-mail me? Thanks so much.

4:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home