Wednesday, June 22, 2005

Mittens in Ethiopia?

Going to Ethiopia. Woohoo! As it finally dawned on me (sometime yesterday) that this trip was really happening, it occured to me to check the weather there. Turns out it's little chilly. Delight! Considering that I have been locked into an eternal summer for nearly a year, it's about friggin time I get a taste of fall or spring. Heck, I'd even take winter.

Luckily, as my friend Dorothee (007 in Africa) and I had recently compared the most useless items we had brought to Africa (mine was panty hose), I was aware that she possesses a warm winter hat. It's now tucked away in my backpack. She also brought mittens, which I find even far sillier, even too silly for Ethiopia.

I'm supposed to be at the airport already. However, in a move of shocking efficiency, both the airline and the travel agent contacted our admin department to let us know the plane was delayed for several hours. So I am packed and ready to go, wishing I were going already.

This means that I will be gone for the potentially tumultuous "June 30" period. I'd imagine it's going to be more annoying than dangerous. People will have to bunk up together and watch T.V. and stay inside for a couple days. There will probably be a few isolated incidents, but my money's definitely not on large-scale civil unrest.

Anyhoo, I will be watching it on CNN from a distance, should they follow the issue.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

Followed the link from 007's page. I enjoy your writing - consider me a regular reader. I look forward to sharing your further adventures as you post them.

Blessings to you,

Steve in Wisconsin
northwoods_ds@yahoo.com

12:06 AM  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Hey, thanks for the solidarity there. I'm infinitely reassured by the fact that you're going to be watching CNN while the rest of us fend off angry mobs... Haha, I'm joking, sort of.

Anyhow, I hope your fingers freeze off (that'll teach you to make fun of my mittens) :)

6:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home