Thursday, August 25, 2005

I felt mildly surprised when I got back to Kindu after 12 days in the field...it just didnt seem terribly like home. In Niger, after field missions, I would have a certain comfort of walking back into my house. I would take a shower, light some candles (if it wasnt, say, 100 degrees inside my house), then invetibly head out to my local drinking hole and announce my return. Here I basically slunked into my house and felt slightly depressed as I heated water on a gas stove for my bucket bath. I wrote some text messages to let friends know I was back in town. Only two of them are here right now.

Right now I am a bit frustrated....by supervisor and I get on fine but sometimes we have misunderstandings, and it turns out that this happened in a talk we had about when I was going to do budget projects. I had assumed that I would wait until I was in Kinshasa, where I could work with colleagues. Also, I've been working late nights just to get out seed fair things done, it's not like I have the hours that should be spent on such a task. Any rate, he thought I knew it needed to be done for today. That's a big miscommunication.

Right now i'm just tired of this stuff. Well, had best go put together this budget....

4 Comments:

Blogger coco said...

If tired of this stuff just remember that breaking hearts in the heart of darkness is, at least, hard.
Un beso (kiss)

1:43 AM  
Blogger LouisAntoine said...

Yo Sarah-- I should be in Goma in October... we should have another one of your east Congo expat bloggers conferences. and we need you to be an extra in some congolese music videos we're making...

We would love to come to Kindu and film stuff...

8:53 PM  
Blogger 007 in Africa said...

Hey there, I hope that you're feeling loads better. Am also in the office on Sunday (and Saturday too) to prepare to go to the field. I left you a pizza in the freezer, some money on your night table and some clean sheets. Cable's working again--in your home away from (almost) home in Kinshasa :)

4:32 PM  
Blogger lulu on the bridge said...

Hey Sarah, as a tough jungle girl I'm sure you'll recover soon from your malaria and be back in full swing.
Take care!

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home