Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Eat your heart out, Conrad



My friend Anja taught me how to drive a motorcycle a few weeks ago. Since then we've been around town twice. There are only a handful of white women in town so to have two of them go by on motorcycles in apparently quite a sight. Anja and I went to the Uruguayan water plant (yes, Kindu has a water plant run by Uruguaynas. Don't ask why, just accept) and practiced. Had we done it in town we'd be surrounded by Congolese kids in a heartbeat. It only took me a few tries to take off in first gear. Kindu's dirt roads are terrible so we can't get going too fast and I wear a helmut (this last information is for the benefit of my family, who thinking back to me learning how to drive a car, is likely slightly concerned by the motorbike concept). I gotta say, straddling a motorcycle and revving the engine is pretty friggin cool. And I think my reputation jumped a few notches in Kindu.

4 Comments:

Blogger Taylor Walters Denyer said...

Hey Sarah-

I learned to ride a motorcyle in Congo too. Be careful, though--you can get in trouble with Congolese police if you haven't bought your local motorcyle permit yet.

1:45 AM  
Blogger lulu on the bridge said...

You look very cool on the motorcycle!
(btw, how is your Spanish doing, chica?)

7:35 PM  
Blogger TheMalau said...

I agree wit Taylor, the "Roulage" can be pretty harsh when you don't have SPECIFICALLY the motorcycle license. Especially for a mundele... Okay, I am Congolese, I had to throw that in there, right? )

2:21 PM  
Blogger Sahara Sarah said...

Gotta love the traffic cops. In Kindu we have more traffic police than we do cars and motorcycles combined! I think the highlight of their week is when two vehicles aproach the intersection at the same time. My national Congolese license shows that I can drive a car, motorcycle and a rather alarmingly large truck. Why they decided this, who knows...

Agree that it's always good the have the paperwork in order:)

Hi Lulu! The Spanish is actually fun - I just speak in really short sentences and can only talk in the present tense. Better than my swahili!

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home